Monday, August 28, 2006

Tell me why I don't like Mondays

Actually it wasn't so bad. Woke up from a weird dream where I was moving back to or from San Francisco, somehow managed to be cheerful (as I made coffee, let the dog out, took out the cats' food), and was annoying/amusing Tina by singing the NPR music and imitating the announcers. "This is Corey Flintoff..."

Drove to school and parked, took my 8am class down to the Writing Center for a tour that was a little bit quicker than I had thought it would be, and then brought my class back and went through a list of approximately 50 statements. They were to raise their hands if the statement applied to them. This was an idea that Abby had, then Tina did it, and we came up with our own questions (which I modified further when I did it). Here were some of the highlights:

3. I have a younger and/or older sibling. (I mention this one because one student did not raise her hand, and when I said "Oh, you're an only child," she said that actually she had a twin brother.)

4. I have a family member currently serving in the military. (Strangely, the early class had many more of these than the later one. These included several stationed in Iraq.)

6. I love chocolate. (One student said she was allergic and breaks out in hives if she eats this. Which is really too bad.)

14. I watched the World Cup this summer. (Some students had absolutely no interest in this -- one called soccer "boring" -- but the ones who did, like me, were pretty rabid about it.)

17. I have a great roommate. (A lot of students reported being really happy with their roommates. Just wait till the first major stress test -- like midterms, folks' visit, or somebody dating a total loser.)

20. I know how to drive a standard. (Pretty basic, but led to a discussion of the VW van in Little Miss Sunshine, a great movie that we saw over the weekend.)

22. I am a vegetarian. (One student in the early class raised her hand, but said she eats chicken; one in the later class said she'd been a vegetarian for two months.)

30. I watch one of the following shows: Bridezilla, Project Runway, and Flavor of Love. (Should I be happy or alarmed that fresh-persons are amused by the same things I am?)

41. I think Tom Cruise is a weirdo. (I don't think most of them have lived in a world where he wasn't considered a little odd -- obviously he's gone off the deep end now.)

No comments: